- This topic has 13 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 6 months ago by abaddi.
Jun 29, 2016 at 12:03 am #5163758AshrafKeymaster
Have something to say about HippoEDIT? Say it here!
Have suggestions, comments, or need help? Post it here! If you know of better software than HippoEDIT, post it here! If you know of issues with HippoEDIT, post it here! Share your knowledge with all of us. :-)Jun 29, 2016 at 1:45 am #5164038bunnyb0yGuest
All in all a very impressive text editor & I can see it being very handy for coding. The one function I wish it had would be a hex edit mode so I would not need multiple programs.Jun 29, 2016 at 1:53 am #5164070RussellGuest
My antivirus reports a trojan in the download. Can you please confirm the safety of the file?Jun 29, 2016 at 2:52 am #5164278Alex from HippoEDITGuest
this is false positive. And I, as an author, can confirm that there is no trojan, malware or whatever inside :)
Here is a virustotal check which shows that only 1 of 52 antiviruses found something for installer file (this also false positive). Of course, I am trying to contact antivirus vendors for adjusting their checks, but it does not always work and usually takes some time to be processed.
Alex.Jun 29, 2016 at 2:56 am #5164293Alex from HippoEDITGuest
the HEX Editor plugin will come in HippoEDIT 2.0. Probably would be available already in next 2.0 alpha build (may be downloaded by registered users on forum).
BR, Alex.Jun 29, 2016 at 3:04 am #5164330Alex from HippoEDITGuest
Some introduction that may help:
• You can find a lot of information and already answered questions on HippoEDIT forum, and on HippoEDIT wiki (for example FAQ page)
• SharewareOnSale HippoEDIT edition can NOT run portable.
• If you are looking for some feature or a syntax highlighting for your favorite language, but cannot find it the menu, check available plugins: Tools->Options->Plugins (select needed in the list), available syntaxes on Tools->Options->Syntax Settings (check needed) or use Update Manager Help->Check for Updates. The easiest way to get needed syntax schema is to just open a source code file in the corresponding language – HippoEDIT will check by itself if syntax schema for it is available online and will download it for you.
• Comparison of the HippoEDIT with other text editors can be found on forum (not really up-to-date but better than nothing ;) )
• HippoEDIT has only English user interface.
• The license you get here with SharewareOnSale special offer is a FULL license. There are no limitations or differences to standard HippoEDIT license.
• If you bought HippoEDIT and did not get the license in 24 hours, maybe license email is caught by your spam filter. If you are sure it is not, leave a comment of forum, and I will send you the license in private message
HippoEDIT : http://www.hippoedit.comJun 29, 2016 at 3:15 am #5164370RussellGuest
I will try it!Jun 29, 2016 at 10:21 am #5166039Kelli TaylorsGuest
Let’s be honest here. This is NOT the FULL edition. It is a “special edition” so what is missing is undiscernable. Need proof? Check out the developer’s forum where it says “29-31 June you can get the free special edition of HippoEDIT on SharewareOnSale for non-commercial purposes, or you can get FULL license with discount of 70%.”
Honesty please. Is that too much to ask?Jun 29, 2016 at 2:31 pm #5166601Alex from HippoEDITGuest
Hello Kelli Taylors,
Here are the conditions of the promotion from main page:
Terms and Conditions
- This is a 1-computer lifetime license, for noncommercial use
- No free updates; if you update the giveaway, you may lose it
- No free tech support
- Must be downloaded, installed, and registered before this offer has ended; you cannot install / reinstall / register later, such as if you get a new computer
- May not be resold
Here is a description of what is different from “FULL” version one can see if at least download and install the software ;)
You got a fully functional, not time-limited, and up-to-date version of HippoEDIT.
But there are some limitations:
- This edition can be used only for non-commercial purposes
- There are no free upgrades for future versions
- There are no new and updated syntaxes, plugins, dictionaries etc.
- There is no access to new major version betas
- You need an extra license to use 64-bit or non-Unicode version
- There is no free technical support
- You cannot request new features and influence the development
- And of course, it is not your name in the About Box ;)
Why do you think the deal is not honest?
Have you seen something that is going terms and conditions of the deal?
Have you seen some other difference that is not mentioned?
I am trying to always be honest. I am giving my work for free, and doing here support, even if this is not included in terms and conditions.
HippoEDIT : http://www.hippoedit.comJun 29, 2016 at 4:54 pm #5166823AshrafKeymaster
[ @Alex from HippoEDIT] While I can’t speak for Kelli, I can speak for SharewareOnSale and the rest of our members — we appreciate your giveaway and your support! Keep up the good work!Jun 29, 2016 at 8:33 pm #5167116KeithGuest
Do you know yet how much the cost will be for the version 1 to version 2 upgrade?
Also, if HippoEdit is purchased today will the upgrade to version 2 be free?
Is version 2 close or a ways out?
Thanks.Jun 29, 2016 at 10:42 pm #5167299sonycGuest
Thank you for this great program!Jun 30, 2016 at 3:51 am #5168563Alex from HippoEDITGuest
[ @Keith] Hi Keith,
the license bought now will fit for HippoEDIT 2.0. I do not have exact plans yet when it will be released, but the current state of it can be tracked with the alpha version I am publishing on the forum after every significant feature added.
I can not tell how much an upgrade from 1.X to 2.X will cost because all currently sold licenses are in reality lifetime, and working with every release (conditions on the web site do not really reflect the reality :) ). But I am planning to change that with the release of 2.0. But all licenses sold before the release of 2.0 will stay lifetime forever.Jul 1, 2016 at 9:22 am #5181239abaddiGuest