- 10 different rewards to unlock by achieving diamonds
- Comprehensive progress tracking
- 6 levels of difficulty
- Hall of Fame for users who have achieved Total Completion
- Highly effective tool for learning and then remembering times tables
- Create an unlimited number of different users
- Questions can be seen visually, together with an animation to aid learning
- Emphasis on questions the user is having difficulty with
- Easy to use, however Guided Start shows users the main features
- Hi score tables
- Comprehensive instructions provided as a reference
- Can be configured for use in either homes or classrooms
- Separate areas for parents and for teachers in order to monitor usage and progress
- Suitable for any age from 9 to 15
Of particular interest to schools:
- Assessment test given when new users are created when configured for classroom use,
which can be set by the teacher to be taken again at any time in order to provide clear
evidence of progress
- Several features can be regarded as making use of Assessment for Learning
- Students can develop their Independent Learning skills by making their own decisions
about which features to use and when, based on Progress Chart and other feedback
- This app was created by a former teacher with 18 years experience
Times Tables Tutor is a very effective app for learning times tables. The emphasis is on the user successfully learning and mastering their times tables. It can be used in both homes and classrooms, and has specific areas for parents and for teachers. For each user 24 different statistics relating to what they have done are kept track of. Question Focus enables the user to see a particular question in a visual form, along with an animation to help them learn it. Depending on which feature is currently being used, this is often directly accessible whenever a question is answered incorrectly.
Fully learning your tables requires a lot of practise, and Times Tables Tutor is structured to ensure that the user will want to use it over an extended period of time. Diamonds are awarded for significant achievements, and each of the first 10 of these comes with a reward. Reaching 10 diamonds unlocks the Final Test of Mastery, and completing this represents total completion of Times Tables Tutor. Users who manage to do this are deemed to “officially know their tables”, and they take their place in the Times Tables Tutor Hall of Fame. Once the user has done this they can still continue to use Times Tables Tutor and possibly achieve even more diamonds.
When Times Tables Tutor is being used in the classroom the student has to take a short assessment test as soon as they create their user. This test generates the student’s “tables competency score”, which is given as a percentage. This test can then be taken again whenever the teacher wants. This feature is provided to give teachers clear evidence of the progress that students have made while using Times Tables Tutor.
There is a range of things that the user can do in Times Tables Tutor to enable them to learn their tables. Progress Chart, Learn Your Tables, Random Questions, Question Focus and One Minute Challenge are available as soon as the user is created. Ten Question Challenge, Tables Blaster and Final Test Of Mastery have to be unlocked by achieving diamonds. If a user is not sure where to begin then Guided Start will take them through the main features. And although Times Tables Tutor is easy to use it nevertheless comes with comprehensive instructions which serve as a reference if you want to find out more about a particular feature.