About DxO Optics Pro 8 Elite
Like some other photo processing programs, DxO Optics Pro 8 improves your photos. But we improve them more, and better, than any other program. And we improve them automatically. We’ll explain why.
First you should know briefly who we are. Our name is DxO Labs, we are based in Paris (France) and our chief scientists regularly publish scientific papers in the most prestigious journals of the computer image community. This scientific and mathematical background has allowed us to design DxO Optics Pro 8 as a tool that aims not just to improve quality, but to achieve perfection — and more specifically, automatic perfection.
We have tested your camera and each of your lenses
Our first unique feature is to test all the hardware characteristics in our own labs. Cameras and lenses spend days in the hands of our technicians, who measure not only optical defects like distortion, lens softness or vignetting, but also check and measure noise, colorimetry, and tone curves. They analyze the in-camera processing that is applied (with or without your knowing) to the images. The result is a huge database that has no equivalent anywhere in the world. This is what enables the program – knowing that an image has been shot with a particular camera and lens, at a certain aperture and focal length – to calculate that a particular pixel must have its value increased by x%, moved by y% in this or that direction, and corrected by z% in, say, the red channel. But you won’t have to do a thing: the program will download the profiles for your camera and lens, then silently and effortlessly apply the appropriate corrections.
Our program analyzes your images, one by one
As every photographer knows, every photo is unique. Even if you have shot the same subject with the same equipment, two images will always differ: one has some grain in a dark zone, while another lacks contrast and the third suffers from excessive backlighting. Most programs deal with this uniqueness by using an elementary solution: they offer a wide range of corrections, and leave you to do the work. DxO Optics Pro 8 has a radically different approach. We analyze the image, we find the corrections to be done, we carry our these corrections, and we show you the result, in case you want to fine-tune this or that correction to your taste.
Of course, analyzing an image zone by zone and pixel by pixel is a highly complex task.
Finding that a particular subject is back-lit and needs not only additional light (as if you’d used a fill-in flash) but also heightened local contrast. Seeking out the minute colored fringes round the edges of some objects. Detecting highlights that are close to “burning out” and need to be preserved. Traditionally, all these tasks would have been accomplished by skilled operators in photo laboratories. Now that operator is an extremely powerful application. This auto-analysis of any particular image is our second exclusive feature.
What DxO Optics Pro does for your images
● If you have shot Raw, DxO Optics Pro processes your photos using the best converter ever designed; when transforming the raw sensor data (the “demosaicing” process, among others), this converter is virtually free from artifacts;
● DxO Optics Pro automatically corrects all five optical distortions (geometric distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration – both longitudinal and lateral – and lens softness), thanks to the high-level measurement database that our labs have been building up for years;
● DxO Optics Pro finely corrects the exposure of your photo, with an automatic adjustment (Raw images only) to keep highlights from ‘burning out’, and even recovery of some partially burnt-out highlights.
● Thanks to the measurements made in our labs on each camera body, DxO Optics Pro has the best de-noising process available, letting you shoot Raw or JPEG photos at speeds as high as ISO 100,000.
● DxO Optics Pro offers a unique automatic correction of contrast and lighting in shadows, equivalent to a fill-in flash, to radically improve any high-contrast or backlit picture.
● DxO Optics Pro offers an unrivaled option to change the color rendering of your photo, as if it had been shot by another camera, or on a particular film.
● DxO Optics Pro offers an exclusive correction tool for wide angle shots, which corrects deformation of faces and bodies by using non-conventional (cylindrical or spherical) perspective methods.
● All the above corrections and features are automatic, while letting you fine-tune their settings to adapt them to your taste (apart from the last correction mentioned above, perspective correction, which is semi-automatic).