SkySafari 4 is the most comprehensive astronomy app available for Android. It's a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket. It puts thousands of stars and planets at your fingertips. It lets you find objects in the sky using your Android device's built-in compass and accelerometer. It includes hundreds of astronomical images, and contains encyclopedic descriptions of the constellations, stars and planets. Use the interactive star chart from anywhere on the globe! You don't even need to walk away from the city lights - the star chart shows you all of the stars and planets at their exact spots even if they are difficult for you to see.
If you're new to SkySafari, this is the basic version. It includes everything you need to get started learning the night sky: 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites - including the ISS.
Here's what you can do with SkySafari 4:
Simulate the night sky from anywhere on planet Earth, up to 100 years in the past or future. Search for celestial objects, and locate them in the sky using your device's built-in motion hardware. Animate transits, conjunctions, eclipses, and other events with SkySafari's Time controls. Explore the sky with Night Vision turned on, and preserve your eyesight after dark.
Learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens from SkySafari's hundreds of object descriptions. Browse hundreds of astronomical photographs and NASA spacecraft images. Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, Sky & Telescope's mobile portal to all major sky events for every day of the week. Miss nothing!
All this is built into SkySafari 4 - you don't need an internet connection to use it. SkySafari's streamlined interface turns your Android device into a celestial travel guide! SkySafari 4 Plus and Pro add even more - but the basic version is everything the casual stargazer will ever want. (Please note: there is no discount upgrade path to SkySafari 4 Plus or Pro.)
If you've used SkySafari before, here's what's new in version 4:
* Reinvented look-and-feel with new app icons and artwork.
* Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and more accurate motion tracking. With compass on, search for any object, and an animated arrow now leads the way to help you locate it in the sky.
* Google Maps integration: choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
* Animated meteor showers, with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics.
* New horizon panoramas: Yerba Buena Gardens in downtown San Francisco, Uluru (Ayers Rock) Australia, and the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island. Or add your own!
* New and updated descriptions for hundreds of objects.
* Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don't have room to list here!